Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Cooking Up A Storm...Food and Fitness Journal October 15, 2013




I was a busy little bee yesterday there is no doubt about that. Since starting this new food and fitness journey that I am on I have been doing a lot of reading and researching about healthier food options. Learning what you should and shouldn't eat to lose weight can be quite overwhelming. There is such a vast array of information out there these days and there is so much controversy over what does and doesn't help you shed pounds. Not to mention there are a million different diet schemes out there as well. One thing is pretty consistent though no matter what you read... eat fresh/unprocessed/clean food is much better for you. I made a vow to myself when I started this that I would not go on a "diet." I vowed to truly teach myself how to eat well for the rest of my life. I didn't want to live off cabbage soup for 6 months because I knew that once I lost the weight I would be right back to where I started which was not knowing what good food was or how to make/eat it! I have been forcing myself out of my food comfort zone the past couple months but it has been a great journey so far. Now I know some of the food I eat is still processed with a long ingredient list but I am making so many changes.

So with that being said I have been trying to stock out fridge with as much fresh veggies, meat, fruit, etc..as I can. This also means that things don't last as long as they used to. I have to actually think about what needs to be used up in the morning and base my cooking off of what I have on hand. This morning there was quite a few things that were going to go bad if I didn't use them up so my meals for the day were based on those things.

Food Journal:


Breakfast: Cascadian Farms Chocolate O's Cereal. I know that sugary cereals are not good for you whether they are organic or not but I had already bought this box when I read the article on that so I am forcing myself to finish them up. Too bad because I like these a lot. They are sweet without being too sweet! I topped them with Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk. I recently switched to unsweetened after comparing the label of the regular sweetened vanilla almond milk to that of regular low fat milk. There wasn't much of a difference so I wasn't saving calories or sugar or fat and was spending a lot more. I like the unsweetened because the calories are a lot less while still giving you necessary calcium. It is also non GMO which is a huge benefit. I also had a cup of coffee with the Coffee Mate Caramel Machiatto Creamer. I don't drink coffee often but was in the mood this morning! It hit the spot.
 
Lunch: I heated up the rest of my dinner from Max's yesterday. I doctored it up with some fresh garlic, lemon juice, and onion powder and it tasted soooooo much better!

Dinner: After lunch I got busy dissecting the fridge. I threw out a bunch of things that needed to go for one reason or another and prioritized what needed to be cooked first. I had a container of brussel sprouts and some beet greens that were beginning to go so I decided to use those up.  I used this recipe for the brussel sprouts. I didn't have any chicken bullion cubes so I instead used low sodium chicken broth and they came out delicious.



I went by this recipe for the beet greens and they also turned out DELICIOUS!! I wish I could get fresh beets from the garden all year round because I love beet greens. I was so thankful that one of my lovely patrons at work brought me a big bag of them. Now to use the actual beets ha!






I cooked up a couple chicken breasts too. This will most likely be my dinner for tonight also because I made enough to last me a couple meals and it was sooo good yesterday!

Snacks: I ate a Dole Peach Crisp Cup. I wasn't very impressed! The after taste was weird and kind of chemically. It wasn't like a normal fruit cup like taste. I only had two in the cupboard and didn't want to throw them out despite knowing they are full of added sugar but I think the other one is going in the trash bin because they were not delicious at all. I also had an apple and a tbsp of the glorious Cookie Butter. If you don't know what Cookie Butter is...you need to! Check out this post to hear about what it is.

Workout:

Yet again it is another week of the #FriskyFall challenge. If you don't know what that is then click here! I got my workout schedule from Tone It Up and The Betty Rocker and made my workout schedule for the week. Yesterday was Cardio day so I did the workout below. I added weights and plyo moves to make it a little more challenging but it was a good workout. I also did my Betty Rocker Rocktober workout also. 
Have I mentioned how much I love Fitness Blender yet? 

I also woke up this morning one pound closer to winning my October Dietbet. So yesterday was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment